A Legend Reborn: How Does the Nissan Z Compare to The Older Version?
The Nissan Z is an automotive icon with over 50 years of history. The latest iteration, the 2023 Nissan Z, pays homage to its predecessors while pushing into the future.
Unveiled in August 2021, the latest Z is expected to reignite passions when it hits the market in spring 2022. But how does this new Z compare to its direct ancestor, the 370Z, which spanned from 2009 to 2020?
Explore their similarities and differences in design, performance, technology, and more.
A Sleek Yet Retro Styling
The Z has always turned heads with its sporty styling, and the 2023 Z is no exception. It deftly incorporates retro and modern cues, looking both futuristic and familiar. Some standout features include the following:
- A long hood and short rear deck
- A rectangular grille with chrome trim and the iconic Z badge.
- LED headlights and taillights resembling the letter Z.
- A sloping roofline flowing into a ducktail spoiler.
- Dual exhaust with circular tips.
- Nine exterior colors, including two-tone options.
The 370Z also featured a distinctive design but with a more aggressive angularity. Some key 370Z styling points included these elements:
- A low, wide stance conveying power.
- A V-shaped grille with honeycomb mesh.
- Bi-xenon headlights with LED running lights.
- A fastback roofline ending sharply.
- Single oval-tipped exhaust.
- Eight exterior color choices, including metallics.
While both models boast head-turning style, the new Z has a more refined, elegant aesthetic than the 370Z’s raw edginess. We expect nothing less from Nissan, a brand that always looks forward.
Superior Performance and Handling
The Z built its reputation on performance, and the 2023 Z leaps ahead. Its 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 generates 400 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, significantly outpacing the 370Z’s 3.7-liter V6 with 332 horsepower and 270 lb-ft.
The new Z offers a six-speed manual or nine-speed automatic, while the 370Z has six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic options. Both feature rear-wheel drive and independent suspension. Nissan estimates the 2023 Z will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in around 4 seconds, about 0.5 seconds faster than the 370Z. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph in both.
The new Z also provides advanced performance features like:
- Launch control for optimized acceleration.
- Variable valve timing improving efficiency and emissions.
- Drive mode selector (Sport, Sport+, Standard, Eco).
- Limited-slip differential enhancing traction and stability.
- Brembo brakes delivering superior stopping power.
The 370Z also offered capabilities enhancing performance, but the newest version of this classic ride quickly takes the cake in speed, performance, and capability.
A Technologically Advanced Cockpit
The Z has consistently advanced automotive technology, with the 2023 Z representing a new pinnacle. Its modern, sophisticated interior brims with amenities including:
- A 12.3-inch digital dashboard
- An eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi hotspot
- Premium eight-speaker, subwoofer sound system
- Wireless phone charging pad.
- Keyless entry and push-button start.
- Rearview camera and blind spot monitor
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
The 370Z’s interior was more basic, with an analog dashboard, a six-speaker sound system, and manual climate control.
Looking to the Future by Honoring the Past
While both Nissan Z models offer technology and innovation, the 2023 Z provides significantly more amenities and advanced features than its predecessor. The 370Z was a great car in its time but faded as competitors surpassed it. The 2023 Z reignites the passion for Nissan’s icon, and it meets the high bar set by its forebearers yet vaults it into the modern era.
The 2023 Z looks poised to continue that legacy and enhance it for the next 50 years. While reflecting on how far the Z has come, we can feel optimistic about how much further it can go.
This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning a commission is given should you decide to make a purchase through these links, at no cost to you. All products shown are researched and tested to give an accurate review for you.